Petals for BPEL and can Oracle database be used?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Petals for BPEL and can Oracle database be used?

ngstp
Hi,

I want to implement the BPEL procesess on Petals, for this would it be fine just to have Petals ESB or is it better to have Petals studio?
My current environment  (on which i want to implement Petals), is running on Oracle database, would petals be compatible with Oracle database?
Could anyone please help me with my queries.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Petals for BPEL and can Oracle database be used?

Victor Noël
Administrator
This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.
Hi,

It's not really clear what you are trying to achieve.

First, regarding the database: Petals does not use a database in itself, but it can potentially map SQL request from services calls (see the SQL BC). In that later case, there shouldn't be any problem with oracle.

Second, regarding BPEL: this engine is not supported anymore, we usually recommend to use the Activiti SE that enables you to describe processes with the BPMN standard (it is available for Petals 4.3 and Petals 5, the latter being the recommended one).

In any case, whichever choice you make for the process engine, you don't need Petals Studio (it embeds an Eclipse modeller for BPEL) if you have a way to build your process. Activiti proposes an eclipse plugin to do so, and there exists others editor on the market I guess. For BPEL, there is also an eclipse modeller and maybe other on the market?

If you tell use in more details what you are trying to achieve, we can give you advices on how to do it with Petals :)
Reply | Threaded
|

ngstp
Hello,

Thanks for your prompt reply.
Here is what my requirement is:

Currently in our setup we have weblogic 11g + Oracle 11g DB + Oracle Soa suite 11g.
In SOA suite, mainly BPEL is being used for developing the composites and file translation functionality.
I'm checking on Petals to replace the SOA/BPEL part from our setup. Since Petals is very new to me, i'm still exploring all the option that you have.
I have tried installing (executing petals-esb.bat) on my server, but no where in the documention i could see how to access application from front end and how to work to build processes and deploy them.
Any help from you to guide me further is much appreciated.
Reply | Threaded
|

Christophe DENEUX
Administrator
Hi ngstp,

First, Petals ESB is a light-weight service oriented ESB based on Java Business Integration (JBI) and does not include front end in its runtime. I think it should be very different from Oracle SOA Suite.

It is needed to develop and build your service units (SU) and service assemblies (SA) before to deploy them on a running Petals ESB container started with petals-esb.sh or petals-esb.bat.

To develop you use-case, you can use our Petals Studio that is our IDE/ Its documentation is available here: https://doc.petalslink.com/display/petalsstudio13/Petals+Studio+1.3

We have also several tutorials available into the Petals Studio documentation: https://doc.petalslink.com/display/petalsstudio13/Tutorials, and common use-cases: https://doc.petalslink.com/display/petalscomponents/Components+Use+Cases

I hope these pointers will help you.
Christophe DENEUX
Petals ESB Architect
Linagora
Twitter: @ChrisDENEUX